The Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) has provided us with more evidence as to why control doesn’t work. All of the taking off all of your jewelry, taking off your shoes, taking your laptop out of your bag, the pat downs, the metal detectors, and the death stares is just a facade. Here’s TSA’s history:
– Assuming responsibility for all civil aviation security functions from the Federal Aviation Administration.
– Providing 100% screening of all checked baggage for explosives by the end of the year.
– Transferred out of the Department of Transportation to the Department of Homeland Security which was created 5 months before.
– Around $5.7 billion in mandatory and discretionary appropriations.
– $2 billion per year in offsetting collections (whatever they find/keep).
– Mainly used for passenger and baggage screening, screener salaries and benefits, contracts with private screeners etc.
The results have been sub-par…
In the news:
From 2004 – 2006
– Screeners detect less than 30% of the knives and guns that officials try to sneak through security in tests.
– Investigation uncovered deficiencies in the procedures for screening checked baggage.
After these uncovered deficiencies, the government spent over $500 million to address the problem…
2011 and 2013:
– Screeners detect less than 30% of the knives and guns that officials try to sneak through security in tests making no improvements from 2004.
– An undercover agent was able to sneak a fake bomb through both a metal detector and a manual pat-down.
– “An internal investigation found that undercover investigators were able to smuggle fake explosives and weapons through checkpoints in 95 percent of trials, which they conducted at dozens of America’s busiest airports.”
– “On the heels of Transportation Security Administration workers flunking a security test at airport checkpoints, the results of a new audit show that — while the agency keeps a robust system for screening commercial airport workers — it still failed to flag 73 airport workers “linked to terrorism.””
– “(TSA) failed to make any noticeable improvements” since spending $500M from 2009
– “The publicly available facts are disturbing, but the classified details are even worse.”
We are just feeding the country more and more money without any results. People just mindlessly go to work, buy food, pay taxes, watch TV and go to sleep. I see people upset about paying too much for groceries and donating money, but at least they can have something to eat and can help others who are dying of starvation. When we donate our taxes to TSA, it seems like we’re giving to a dysfunctional charity that just wastes our time and throws away the money. If the world is ever going to change, people will have to let go of the illusion of control and randomness.
For a full TSA timeline or events and TSA regulation reactions up to 2011, click here.